Here’s a list of where I’ve been and some of the highlights from my time there. Feel free to drop me a note if you have a question.
Associate Director, Content Strategy – 2016-Present
MRM//McCann Detroit, Birmingham, MI
Manager, Digital Experience – 2011-2016
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Detroit, MI
When I joined Blue Cross, I quickly audited the issues the company faced with its public and member website content. Poorly governed, it was redundant, unfocused and unkempt. With health care reform around the corner, we needed to quickly get the web content into shape.
Over the past three years, I’ve built a team of strategists, editors, architects, and writers who execute a content strategy that educates, engages and motivates our customers. I’ve also served as product owner for two major site releases.
- Responsible for all content strategy deliverables, editorial execution, quality assurance testing, and search engine optimization.
- Performed full redesign and rewrite of bcbsm.com in less than eight months.
- Successfully implemented a persona-based content strategy.
- Improved year-over-year natural search traffic to the site by 10 percent.
- Recognized with four Web Marketing Association Web Awards and one eHealthcare Leadership Award.
Content Strategy Consultant – 2009–2011
Wonder Web, Kalamazoo, MI
As an independent consultant, I worked with a variety of companies to help them build content strategies that engaged customers and improved their websites.
- Built content strategy for several start-up digital publishers. Deliverables included content strategy documents, editorial vision, resource planning, and budgeting.
- Improved search results of multiple websites by coaching clients how to consistently publish quality content.
Senior Manger, Communications – 2007-2009
Kellogg Company, Battle Creek, MI
In this employee-facing communications role, I led planning and change communications for a variety of projects. Most notably, I led communications planning and content execution for a redesign of the company’s human resources portal.
- Led content refresh of careers website, which increased traffic by 20 percent.
- Improved employee engagement through a communications strategy for culture-building initiatives.
Manager, Communications – 2004-2007
Disney Consumer Products, Burbank, CA
When I arrived at Disney, we were getting ready to launch a new employee intranet. I developed the content guidelines, calendar, workflow and engagement that turned a nascent tool into a successful business asset. After I’d been there a few months, my team started working on the licensee extranet, a powerful marketing and communications tool that was built and designed without a content strategy in place.
- Established content strategy, workflow and editorial guidelines for the division’s digital content.
- Significantly improved traffic and adoption of multiple sites. Traffic to the licensee extranet increased by 60 percent while the company intranet grew by 25 percent (with nearly 100 percent adoption).
- Led project to rework content and design of media/corporate info site. Year-over-year traffic increased by 153 percent.
- Directed internal digital strategy for Disney/Pixar’s Cars, which generated more than $1 Billion in retail sales in its first year.
Internet Content Manager – 2001-2004
Visteon Corporation, Dearborn, MI
Online Copywriter – 1999-2001
DecorateToday.com / American Blind and Wallpaper, Plymouth, MI